Travel, food & life....as it happens

Monday, March 28, 2016

Eternal lightness of no data

My smartphone has been wiped clean of all data twice in past two months and is in the safe custody of the service center.

My desktop was formatted ten days back.

My laptop has just a couple of word files and nothing else as data.

Microsoft and Apple. Two giant shoulders that I stand upon and see the world. They are like sleeping babies for me at the moment. Shhh.....hushhhh....no noise....no data....no nothing!

Hold it.

Don't feel sorry for me yet.

I do have backup. Some of it at least.

But alas.....my lacie (storage disk) is away. To be exchanged under warranty. They say the data can be saved. I believe them. But I believe in data only as long as I don't have to pay for its retrieval. Else I will assume it all to be gone.

Am I living a digital curse? Sure looks like it.

So why and how am I so calm and serene right now?

Because when all is gone, nothing really matters!!

What you really really need pops up from someplace and presents itself.

Copies of your most recent projects are generally in the mail or with your business associates or Clients.

Photographs that matter are up and about on facebook and the whatsapp galleries of your friends.

All phone numbers are synced to some email account or the other.

I thought I would collapse without my phone or computer but I eat, sleep and behave just like I used to. Not much has changed. Just a few things.

I upload a little less. I interact a little less online. I cook a little more.

I also wait a little more for others to listen to what I have to say.

I indulge in quick mental math when giving money at the laundry.

I also count the money any shopkeeper returns. You will be surprised how many times they have had to return me some more because they made a 'silly mistake' adding up.

Hopefully I will buy a new smartphone soon.

Till then I will use my mind and its powers to do all things simple.

Like baking a cake without looking at the recipe....

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by :)