Travel, food & life....as it happens

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ads released on Independence Day - 15th Aug 1947

I recently visited the Cellular Jail in Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (India). It was an early British Penal settlement. Criminal as well as political prisoners from mainland India were deported there for rigorous imprisonment which ranged from 10 to 50 years. Known as the dreaded 'Kala-Pani' then, it houses spine chilling details of British atrocities and torture.

Along with other things, there were a few newspapers on the wall. I will be writing about the 'Cellular Jail' in the travelogues separately. But for my advertising friends, here are a few ads that were published in 'The Statesman' on 15th August 1947, our Independence Day. 

(Double click and zoom into the photographs to read the body copy. If you wish to use these pictures for reference purposes, kindly inform me. Will give you hi-res ones. Please do not use them commercially as I have no royalty rights on them)















6 comments:

  1. Vabdu, did you read the body copy of Hindustan Motors Ltd ad? I feel, it is very well written and I can still relate to it...History has a way of solving one problem by giving birth to another.... so true na?

    Thanks a ton for sharing these ads Vandu.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Anagha :)
    I read the body copy of Hindustan Motors and thought I must click them all. It is so true. Oh there are so many things to share. Will do slowly so you get to see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....these pictures are so nice...a peep into the past!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and what a glorious past that was :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are going for finest contents like I
    do, simply visit this site every day since it provides feature contents, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by :)